The village hall and playing field at Butley are owned by a charity made up of the residents of Butley, Capel St Andrew, Chillesford and Wantisden.
The committee is elected each year at the annual general meeting and consists of residents and representatives of local groups.
The purpose of the charity (Registration no.304723) is to provide a venue for activities and functions for the benefit of local communities. The site was donated to the local community by Sir Peter Greenwell in 1950 and the present village hall was constructed in the 1980s and fully refurbished in 2013.
It is regularly used by local activity groups as well as hosting the popular annual Butley Flower Show.